Desk of Contents[Hide][Show]
What’s an historical treatment for hemlock poisoning, utilized by Cleopatra, and burned in some church buildings?
Should you guessed frankincense, you bought it proper! Resin from this tree has been utilized in skincare, drugs, and non secular ceremonies for 1000’s of years. This tree’s soothing and clarifying properties make it the perfect ingredient in frankincense face cream.
Why Frankincense Face Cream?
Buckle up as a result of there’s a complete lot that frankincense can do!
It has a protracted historical past of use to cut back ache and irritation, however scientists are frequently discovering extra about frankincense.
A 2015 article in European Review checked out how frankincense might assist most cancers sufferers. Not solely did the frankincense cream cut back their painful pores and skin irritation, however it did it with none unwanted side effects.
This resin additionally fights a broad vary of pathogens on the pores and skin, together with viruses, chilly sores, and fungi (like candida). Whereas the pores and skin on our face won’t be that broken (hopefully!), the purpose is frankincense is calming and restorative for a variety of pores and skin points.
Based on a 2007 article in Phytomedicine, its antibacterial properties are thought to assist with pimples and eczema.
Plus it simply smells superb!
Does Frankincense Assist With Wrinkles?
In a 2010 randomized controlled trial, frankincense cream decreased indicators of growing older and harm from UV gentle, like wrinkles and darkish spots. Members additionally had:
- smoother pores and skin
- fewer advantageous traces
- elevated elasticity
- much less oil secretion (which suggests fewer clogged pores)
Which Frankincense Ought to I Purchase?
There are plenty of kinds of frankincense important oil in the marketplace. Some are higher high quality than others, and a few scent higher than others. However there’s one other large concern:
Important oils use plenty of plant materials and might simply have a unfavorable environmental affect. Frankincense timber usually are overharvested, particularly the species Boswellia sacra.
Due to these issues, I like to recommend getting the important oil from an organization that ethically and sustainably sources their supplies like Plant Therapy.
Face Cream, Serum, Lotion: What’s the Distinction?
Serum, lotion, cream…what’s the distinction? And why would you decide one over the opposite?
Serums are a mix of liquid components (like this vitamin C serum, a favourite of mine), whereas lotions and lotions are each thickened emulsions of water and oil. Whereas lotions have the next water content material, lotions are thicker and have a tendency to have extra oil.
Though technically face lotions include water-based components, this one sticks to oils. Why? Much less (or no) water means the recipe lasts longer with out utilizing preservatives. For the sake of security and ease, we’re leaving the water out of this frankincense face cream.
No Coconut Oil?
Whereas I’ve given water the boot, chances are you’ll discover one other fashionable skincare ingredient is lacking.
Coconut oil is nice for therefore many issues, together with lotion, however it does have a couple of drawbacks.
It’s extremely comedogenic, that means it clogs pores. Not excellent news for those with acne, clogged pores, or related pores and skin points on their face. Some additionally discover it surprisingly drying.
To be on the secure aspect, this face cream makes use of different face-friendly oils.
Customizing Your Frankincense Face Cream
The great thing about making your individual face cream? You possibly can customise it in your pores and skin!
Mainly any liquid service oil will work, however some are extra suited to sure pores and skin varieties.
- Grapeseed oil – a lighter oil that absorbs quick and is nice for shiny to regular pores and skin varieties
- Candy almond oil – Nonetheless on the lighter aspect and good for regular to dry pores and skin varieties.
- Avocado oil – A thicker oil that’s good for mature or dry pores and skin
- Olive oil – A heavier oil for mature or dry pores and skin
Clearly we’re utilizing frankincense right here, however there are different important oils that mix effectively with the frankincense. All of those important oils are pores and skin secure and scent good with frankincense.
- Geranium – Helps with pimples, congested pores and skin, dermatitis, eczema, oily complexion, mature pores and skin, broken pores and skin.
- Lavender – Helps with pimples, dermatitis, eczema, irritation, psoriasis, and broken pores and skin.
- Cypress – Good for shiny pores and skin, wounds, and tightening veins.
- Orange – Brightens boring complexions, improves circulation and oily complexions.
Mango vs Shea Butter
Mango butter is an identical consistency to shea, however it’s extra astringent. This makes it good for extra oily pores and skin and even regular pores and skin.
When you have dry pores and skin, follow shea butter.
Whipped Face Cream With Frankincense Oil
You don’t need to whip this, however I like the feel of a whipped frankincense face cream. It feels so ethereal and clean! One of the simplest ways is to make use of the whisk attachment on a stand or hand mixer. I don’t advocate a hand whisk. It takes perpetually and the outcomes are disappointing at greatest.
DIY Frankincense Face Cream Recipe
Whip up this nourishing DIY face lotion excellent for boring, drained, or growing older pores and skin
- 1 TBSP mango butter or shea butter
- 1/3 cup grapeseed almond, avocado, or olive oil
- 1 TBSP + 1 tsp beeswax
- 24-48 drops frankincense important oil 1-2% dilution
- 12 drops geranium lavender, candy orange or cypress important oil (a .5% dilution) (non-compulsory)
- 25 drops vitamin E oil non-compulsory however extends the shelf lifetime of oils
In a double boiler or a warmth secure glass bowl add the butter, liquid oil, and beeswax. If utilizing a bowl, perch it on prime of a pot crammed midway with water to create a double boiler impact.
Gently warmth the components till they’re fully melted, stirring often.
Take away from warmth and add the important oils and vitamin E.
Switch the combination to a metallic mixing bowl and put within the freezer for about quarter-hour or till strong. The combination must be agency however not frozen.
Utilizing a hand mixer or the whisk attachment on a stand mixer to whip the face cream till it’s fluffy and creamy.
- Storage: Retailer in a cool, dry place away from warmth and lightweight. The shelf life relies on the precise components used, however must be from 6-12 months.
- Be aware: Should you don’t need to whip the face cream, then switch it to the storage container as an alternative and freeze till cool. Let the combination cool barely first earlier than pouring into the container to keep away from burns or breakage.
Have you ever ever made your individual magnificence merchandise? Will you do this frankincense face cream?